What Is A Domain?
If you want to have a website online, you must have your own domain.
A Domain is a website address that appears in the upper left corner of your browser. It’s a combination of letters used to easily identify the location of your website.
There Are 2 Types of Domains:
- Are domains that you can get for free offered by free hosting companies.
- A domain name of this type will never give you a ".com", ".net" or a ".org" format, it will usually be in the form yourdomainname.freehostingcompanyname.com, so it will always add a dot with some name after yours.
- This is NOT a good idea if you plan to have a nice stable website.
- Free domains don’t have any rights and can be deleted at any time.
- You will not get the support and features you need to run your website smoothly
- It will come with Ads that you can not remove.
This is what everyone uses, with a paid domain:
- You get to have your own ".com" name.
- You get 24 hours of customer support.
- You get free tutorials and guides and additional features that you can add to your website.
How To Register A Domain Name
- Purchase the domain by itself separately from any hosting company.
- Getting a domain when you purchase a hosting plan.
Here is what this means: If you’re making a website for the first time, you will need more than just a domain. You will need a hosting plan.
Hosting plans are explained in the next section but very briefly you need a space where you can put your files on, and if you are making a website for the first time, buying a hosting plan will usually come with 1 domain name.
However if you already have a hosting plan, and would like to add a domain name to it, it’s easy, you just purchase the domain from any registrar company and let it point to your hosting plan server, that way when you put files on your server, your new domain name will point to them.